Live like there's no tomorrow, dance like no one's watching, laugh often, love much, and DREAM BIG!

Sunday, September 25, 2011

A Girl Can Dream



It was the beginning of my sophomore year at USU when I realized that I was possibly the only girl who had not dreamed about her future wedding.  I seemed to be the only girl who didn't have her future wedding even planned out - all of the colors, the wedding dress, the ring, and the song that the first dance would be to.  Therefore, I began to try to dream about my own wedding and tried to plan it out like all of the others, but I naturally failed.  The most I got was that I want one of my colors to be aqua.  Woop-dee-do, one small detail.

However, I think I've come to terms with the fact that, as my twin brother would put it, I'm just not like the other girls - I don't always have to have a boyfriend, I'm not tied up in getting a date every weekend, I don't know what I want my future home to look like, and I don't have every detail of my future wedding planned out.  In fact, I don't care about the wedding colors, I don't care if tons of people show up to the reception, I don't care about the cake (although it would be nice if it were chocolate), I don't care about the dress, or even the ring.  In reality, there are only two things I care about and have dreamed about my whole life... the guy, and getting married in the Temple.

I admit it, I have been raised on Disney movies and Fairy-tales.  And while I do believe in fairy-tales and true love, I am very aware of the fact that Prince Charming is not going to come sweep me off my feet onto a white horse.  And let's be honest, who wants to walk around in uncomfortable glass slippers that could come to a shatter with any slip and fall (which I would be highly likely to do).

I guess what I'm trying to say is that my definition of fairy-tales is a little different than Hollywood's.  


I dream of a prince charming who will love me for me.  He'll love me for my weaknesses and my strengths.  I dream of a prince charming who will think that all of the embarrassing and dorky things I do are cute (perhaps that one does come from the movies).  He's someone who will call me out when I'm out of line or am in the wrong.    He's a prince charming who will make me want to be a better person.  

Not only do I dream about him and the kind of person he'll be, but I dream about our happily ever after. Our relationship that we will have for all time and eternity.  I truly believe that happily ever after's are not only meant for the movies and the storybooks.  Why and how?  The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saint Temple.  This is the beautiful place where I can be married to my prince charming for forever.  And as we draw closer to God and to each other through the fiery furnaces and the bright sunny days of life, our happiness will only increase.  The best part is that it'll last through eternity and I'll truly understand how it feels to live happily ever after.  If I must be so bold as to say, I can't imagine anything better than being someone else's princess in the Kingdom of God.  I dream of it endlessly.





I do want to point out that I know that marriage is not a picnic in the park and that my "prince charming" will not be perfect.  But as long as we are both working to draw closer to each other and to God, then I know it will work out, and the ending result will be all that I dreamed, and more.  And I do not expect my prince charming to be perfect. I, myself, am so far from perfect, so why would I expect it from him?  However, prince charming never meant perfection.  To me, a prince charming means someone who continuously makes me want to be a better person.  And to be his princess, I must do the same.


Well, this would be a good time to get my head out of the clouds because I have things to do here and now... but still, a girl can dream, can't she?






3 comments:

  1. Callie, I just love reading your posts!!! You and I are so alike, I think that is why we are such great friends!!! I love this. I love the way you twisted the Hollywood fairy tale and showed how we Latter-Day Saints have our own fairy tale!!!

    LOVE IT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Callie. I love this. As I was reading this I decided that it described my thoughts almost exactly. I'm not one to imagine much about my wedding except for the very broad details. Cute post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. I have always thought it was a little crazy to have your entire wedding planned out before you meet your prince charming. I mean, shouldn't the wedding be something you both love and make decisions about. The only think I do know about mine is that I will wear a blush color dress.

    ReplyDelete